January 20, 2006
William A. Lee Memorial Scholarship Awards
Now Available In Chicago
Deadline for Applications: March 1, 2006
The Chicago Federation of Labor AFL-CIO has announced the 23rd annual William A. Lee Memorial Scholarship Awards, open to members and children of unions affiliated with the Chicago Federation.
Five cash grants of $1,500.00 will be awarded through the college scholarship program (academic competition), and an additional five cash grants of $1,500 will be awarded via random drawings. The awards are a memorial to William A. Lee who was President of the Federation from 1946 until 1984.
Here are the particulars:
- The $1,500 awards will be paid for the first year of College enrollment only, at an accredited college or university.
- Applicants must graduate from a Chicago-area high school in the year of competition. Only high school seniors will graduate in 2006 are eligible for the 2006 awards.
- Those eligible to compete for the awards must be members or children of members in good standing in unions affiliated with the Chicago Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO.
- The deadline for the 2006 competition is MARCH 1, 2006. A COMPLETE entry (for those who choose to compete in our academic judging) will include the application form, high school transcripts, scores on ACT or SAT tests, certification of union membership of the applicant or the applicant’s parent, and other required material. A COMPLETE entry (for those who choose to compete in our random drawing) will include the application form, certification of union membership of the applicant or applicant’s parent, and certification of graduation signed by the applicant’s high school principal.
- Only COMPLETE entries received by March 1, 2006 in the offices of the Chicago Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO will be considered. Entries received after March 1, 2006 will NOT be accepted.
- The selection of the academic competition will be made by an outside judge. The decision of the judge is final.
- Students desiring an application to enter the competition for the 2006 William A. Lee memorial Scholarship Awards MUST INDICATE WHETHER THEY WILL APPLY FOR THE ACADEMIC COMPETITION OR THE RANDOM DRAWING (THOSE WHO CHOOSE BOTH OR THOSE WHO DO NOT INDICATE EITHER SELECTION WILL BE DISCARDED).
- TO RECEIVE THE APPLICATION FORM PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
CHICAGO FEDERATION OF LABOR
SCHOLARSHIP REQUEST FOR APPLICATION
(SELECT ONLY ONE)
____ I wish to participate in the academic competition for the CFL William A. Lee Scholarship Program.
____ I wish to participate in the random drawing for the CFL William A. Lee Scholarship Program.
Union Affiliation: ____________________________________________________________
(applicant or parent)
Mail to: WILLIAM A. LEE SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
CHICAGO FEDERATION OF LABOR, AFL-CIO
130 E. RANDOLPH, SUITE 2600
CHICAGO, IL 60601
NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE SENT UNLESS REQUESTED IN WRITING
The presentation of the awards will be made at a reception. Winners, their parents and representatives of the Unions involved will be invited to the presentation. WINNERS MUST BE PRESENT TO RECEIVE THE AWARD.
NO TELEPHONE REQUESTS